I saw the movie Girls Trip a few weekends back and have been meaning to post about it. If you are looking for a film that will make you laugh this is it. I promise you’ll walk out with sore abs! Girls Trip is about four best friends who have not seen each other in years and meet up again to go to the Essence Festival in New Orleans. We all know how hard it can be to meet up with your friends and keep in touch when you move to different places. This film stars Jada Pinkett Smith, Queen Latifah, Regina Hall and fabulous new comer Tiffany Haddish! Tiffany is an absolute scene stealer. She is a magnetic actress on screen and a completely fearless comedian! In many scenes my friend and I thought she out shined one of her fellow actresses, which is shocking, since this is an incredibly talented cast. Girls Trip in a nutshell felt like a great weekend of drinking with college friends, laughing at men, going on crazy adventures with your girls and realizing no matter what happened in the past you’ll always be there for each other. Rotten Tomatoes gave Girls Trip an 87% rating, which is amazing since Rotten Tomatoes usually rates most films incredibly low.
This is one of the few films that passes the Bechdel test. The Bechdel test uses three criteria to determine if a film portrays female characters in a realistic way. In many films there is only one female character in the film. Usually the female character is a wife, girlfriend etc. If there is more than one female character, when they are in a scene together they only talk about a guy or wanting to find a guy. The three criteria used to test a film for the Bechdel method is the following: it has to have at least two women in it, who talk to each other about something besides a man. Simple, but shockingly a lot of films do not pass this test. Throughout the film the ladies talk about their memories with each other and the ups/downs of their friendships.
There is some nudity, but I do not want to give anything away so I won’t say anymore!
I will say you can tell this film was written by women and it is beyond refreshing. One of those women is the same boss lady who writes for Blackish. (Which I highly recommend, it’s witty, relevant, comedic and endearing)!
This film has a little bit of the Hangover, with a splash of Bad Mom and a ton of girl power, to remind you that no matter what happens in life your best friends will always have your back.
Step Up Magazine is an digital magazine, founded by Seri Roth. The motto of Step Up is “The magazine that inspires Doers, Thinkers and Givers”. Ms. Roth often features individuals who are philanthropic innovators and leaders. I absolutely love that she started a magazine with the purpose of making the world a better place. She is the founder of A Dollar Campaign, which is a non-profit charity that raises money to support research for pediatric cancer. This really touched me, since I usually try to participate in Cards for Hospitalized Kids in July and December. I know making homemade cards does not financially help, but sometimes a simple gesture of kindness can make all difference in the world.
When Ms. Roth approached me about putting together a woman boss outfit I was super excited! Then, I realized I could not select just one. So I put together three fun #womanboss outfits.
The first outfit I thought of was a neutral one, with a modern print. This can be worn by the girl who does not want her outfit to distract from her face. It can be worn when you have a speaking engagement and want to look chic. This is a star print jumpsuit with tan close toed heels. I also like that it has a slight cut out in the back.
The second outfit I thought of was a jumpsuit that you can wear to meetings during the day that transitions to date at night. This royal blue jumpsuit has a side tie bow detail that is figure flattering. You can pair it with a lightly embellished pink cardigan and sparkly ballet flat. Or you could throw on a black blazer and black flats.
The third outfit I thought of is for the woman who is not afraid to turn heads. This is an outfit you can wear if you want to leave an impression. Every time I wear this dress people tell me they love the color. Do not be afraid to mix a neon and a pastel. The pastel will tone down the brightness of a neon dress and you can play up some light embellishments on your cardigan instead of a necklace.
Being a woman boss is all about confidence. When you choose an outfit think about looking for one that makes you feel beautiful, comfortable (no one likes itchy fabrics), and ready to take on the world.
Thank you to Step Up Magazine for collaborating with me on this post!
I am very grateful for the Liebster Award nomination from Ana! Ana has a sweet, humorous and supportive writing style. Whether she is reviewing makeup, clothing, hair products or just telling others to put themselves out into the blogsphere. The purpose of the Liebster Award is to discover new blogs.
What is this Liebster Award?
The liebster award is an opportunity for bloggers to promote their blogs as well as informing their followers and readers of other bloggers by continuing the nominations further.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I’m usually cold so I always have my heater going at work.
- I never can decide what I should be for Halloween, so I usually go as a flapper last minute.
- My goal is to be a working actor in the SAG community.
- There are genres I would love to work in film wise mystery/drama, comedy, historical fiction, action and psychological thrillers.
- I was never afraid of horror films until I started going to Universal Orlando Resorts Horror Nights.
- I changed my major with a year and one semester left and still graduated on time.
- One of my favorite side jobs was being a delivery driver, since my schedule was flexible, the customers for the most part were nice and the guys I worked with made it fun. We often had some of the most personal conversations about life, our dreams and beliefs in the most respectful way.
- I love singing both parts of, “A Whole New World” by myself.
- I love watching the 2012 version of Sherlock with Rachel McAdams since it is witty and satirical.
- Shoes are my kryptonite.
- I love listening to all types of music depending on my mood. Sometimes that’s Adel, Kanye, Rhianna, Frank Sinatra, Brad Paisley, Jason Alden, The Killers, Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, Joan Jet, Stevie Nicks, Kendrick Lamar, Chainsmokers, David Guetta, Steve Aoki, Sarah Bareilles or theatre showtunes.
Questions I was given
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
I have been following blogs since 2008. I also had a Myspace page my friend and I ran with quotes and icons. We got a decent following and I had a ton of fun with it until Myspace died and Facebook took over. I wanted to start a blog in high school, but didn’t have the time and thought it would cause more conflict in my life.
2. Who is your favourite beauty icon/celebrity of all time?
I don’t have beauty Icon so to speak. I love the look of old hollywood (minus the super thin eyebrows) since all the women looked different and plastic surgery/ botox were not common. Celebraty fashion wise, I love Blake Lively’s and Madelaine Petsch’s style. I think it’s cool that Blake does not usually use a stylist! Meanwhile Madelaine’s stylist is worth her weight in gold and can dress me anyday!
3. In no more than 5 words, what is it that you love about makeup?
Used to highlight your beauty.
4. How much time do you spend blogging weekly?
My goal is to post Tuesday. That way I have time to shoot photos, explore new place on the weekend or see a new movie. If I have a good amount of time twice a week. However, I currently have about five post I want to write about and two sitting in my drafts. I do spend a ton of time reading and commenting on other blogs, since I do enjoy reading about other individuals passions. Lately I have only been doing this twice a week, but I aim to spend an hour four nights a week.
5. What is your favourite genre of music?
See number 11 hahaha!
6. Which makeup product can’t you live without?
Mascara long thick lashes! The eyes are the windows to the soul everyone.
7. Which person has influenced you the most in your life?
I think a variety of people have. I have a lot of strong women in my life that have taught me it’s important to be intelligent, independent, kind and unafraid to love. I also had a college professor that made me fall in love with writing. So thank you Dr. Klauza. You mean the world to me, for showing me how to express myself and introducing me to unique literature like, The Yellow Wallpaper.
8. What is your favourite drink?
Matcha Green Tea Blast. Favorite alcoholic drink Margarita on the rocks.
9. How much do you usually spend on your daily makeup routine?
Ten minutes I value my sleep. If I have an audition thirty minutes depending on what age the character is and what type of girl she is.
10. Which is your next travel destination?
Unknown. I had to push back my London/Paris trip till next year. I may go somewhere in the US for a quick three day weekend.
11. Which is your favourite book and why?
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libra Bray. It is a mixture of mystery, feminism and romance, set in a Victorian time period. The story takes place at a boarding school and the four main characters draw you in. I appreciate that Libra Bray made Gemma a strong Protaginist, who continues to fight the constraints and expectations of women in this time period. Sidenote: I met the author a few years after she wrote the book and completely fan girled when I saw her at Books and Books in Miami.
There are so many blogs I enjoy, but I wanted to showcase these three that have intrigued me recently.
Wildfire Movies -The recommendations and variety of films discussed is amazing. A must read if you want to expand your film knowledge!
Reema’s Garden -I am always fascinated by beautiful balconies in apartment complexes. Reema’s blog tells you how to create your own beautiful garden on your balcony!
Arya Chic – She reveals the history and individuals behind some of the most well known fashion houses.
I am incredibly honored and flattered to be nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award. I have been blogging for about two months now and I must say it has been incredibly fun! I always look forward to putting my ideas on here and interacting with you all. It has been so much fun to meet so many different people sharing their thought and passions. I am going to continue to share art, museums, movie reviews, places to visit, fashion and some occasional philosophical discussions on here. Thank you so much to Tanya for nominating me! I highly recommend you check her blog out, she does product reviews and recently collaborated with a jewelry line that encourages Mental Health!
As a part of accepting this award I will share seven random facts about me!
- I have always been fascinated by stars. I actually begged my mom for a telescope in the fourth grade and use to make her stand outside with me at night to look at the different constellations. I also own multiple pieces of star shaped jewelry and am always on the look out for other unique pieces.
- I have traveled to 27 of the 50 United States by car.
- I have lived in Miami, Los Angeles and Atlanta. I think all three offer unique opportunities, a variety of culture and interesting history. If I had to rank the traffic I would say L.A. is the worst by far, followed by Miami, then Atlanta.
- I attended nine different schools over the course of my college and childhood academic career. So I am use to meeting new people!
- I am addicted to Jamba Juice. The Berry Fulfilling, Matcha Green Tea Blast and their ginger shots are amazing! Every time someone wants to give me a gift I say just throw a couple bucks on a Jamba Juice gift card it’s seriously the only thing I “need”.
- I always take out at least three library books every two weeks, but I usually only finish two of them. Usually ranging from sci-fi, romance, historical fiction, mystery or a play for acting class.
- I can quote every line of Mean Girls and the majority of Cruel Intentions!
I would like to nominate:
Maxim I love the tone of your blog and philosophically comparisons. It warms my heart to read another philosophers’ musings.
Nikki makes the coolest bags from scratch, which completely fascinates me! For example the bucket bags everyone was buying, she made her own.
Kim writes a New England lifestyle blog about her and her fiancé.
Thank you all for reading!
Being a South Florida girl at heart I absolutely love swimming. Growing up I was always a fifteen minutes car ride from the beach. After my kindergarden best friends’ mom gave me swimming lessons I fell in love with being in water. My one requirement major requirement in finding someplace to live in Atlanta was find a complex with a pool (gym second). There is something so calming about the constant rocking of the water and the silence of being underwater.
Even though I have tons of bathing suits, I never found a monokini that I loved. I finally decided to go to Everything But Water to splurge on swimsuit that would give me more support than my favorite Target swimwear. I actually went in to try on a swimsuit from the Alessandra line, but let one of the fabulous sales associates pick out monokinis based off what would support my chest. She recommended about six suits I absolutely loved 3 of them. One of which I am still waiting to go sale! I’ll probably splurge on it a year from now hahaha, but I’ve had this one for three months and I love it. Unlike most suits that pill or show wear this one has not. I have laid it flat to dry and pressed the water out with a towel instead of hanging it or twisting it. So I highly recommend pressing the water out of your swimwear with a towel if you want it to last longer. Then, I decided to have a mini-photoshoot in my Becca by Rebecca Virtue High Neck One Piece.
Note: I do have the Carli Bybel deluxe eyeshadow palette on and I swam in it underwater for 30 mins. It did not move, which is pretty impressive. My favorite Dior Black Out Mascara on the other hand did not survive!
Hello loves! I hope everyone had an awesome weekend! I’ve been in an incredibly good mood this past couple weeks (it might be the endorphins from the exercise), but also because I have been saying no to things that do not make me happy. This past weekend I was talking to my friend about ways to improve your mood.
1. Call someone you love. I often call my gal pals during my lunch break. Two of them are in London, another travels the world and the forth is in Miami. Do we all have crazy schedules? Of course! However, we make time to catch up because it is important. Every time we talk I instantly feel comforted, understood and can not stop laughing.
2. Watch a funny movie. One of my go to movies if I’m bored, sad, or sick is Ferris Buller’s Day Off. If you have not seen it finish reading this post, then check it out on Netflix or Amazon! It’s set in the 80’s starring Matthew Broderick (who is married to Sarah Jessica Parker)! The music, epic “sick” day, joy ride and constant breaking of the fourth wall is just what you need for a laugh.
3. Workout! “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.” -Elle Woods
4. Buy something fun! In my case it was two things a 30 foot workout rope like the one you see people use in Crossfit and a red dress from Abercrombie. I’ve already used the workout ropes three times since they have arrived and I am obsessed. It’s the perfect combination of cardio, arms, legs and thighs.
5. Write down what, or who is stressing you out. Then break your stressor down into smaller steps that you can accomplish. For example if your stress is packing to move. Make a list of the rooms you need to pack. Start in the smallest room with the least amount of stuff. Sort trash, donate, keep. Next, make an estimate of the bubble wrap, tissue paper and newspaper needed. Then, move on to the next room. Get boxes from grocery stores and Home Depot as needed. Set a timer in each room so you do not get caught up on walking down memory lane. When we have tasks and can take the time to cross them each off the list, it helps us feel accomplished.
6. Take time to do Yoga, focusing on your breathing. Getting the oxygen flowing and clearing your mind rapidly improves your happiness.
7. Cuddle with your fur baby. Pets are a beautiful gift. They give us unconditional love and often sense when we need a little extra TLC. I know my kitty is great about coming to me and literally rubbing my face with his when I’m upset. He also loves to climb on me in the morning to cuddle so I start my day off happy 🙂
8. Meme’s. Look up meme’s on Pinterest, Instagram or Google. There are tons of Instagram accounts that post funny memes. When in doubt just look at Chrissy Teigens Twitter/ Instagram her captions crack me up.
9. Get outside! Sometimes there is nothing better than fresh air. Just sitting outside on a bench feeling the wind blow and watching the wildlife is always calming to me. I’m not a huge bird person, but I love watching the Cardinals and little sparrows in Atlanta interact. In California I loved watching the Hummingbirds sparkle in the sunlight.
10. Do something nice for someone else. It could be something as small as opening the door holding the elevator instead of letting it close in someone else’s face. Or making dinner for someone you care about just because! It always feels better to do something selfless for someone else.